And it seems like there are a couple different types of buskers - the ones who need to do it and the ones who love to do it. The first type play in the hope that they'll do well enough to earn a few dollars so that they can get through another (sad and pathetic) day ... and the other ones are so full of life and enthusiastic about performing that they figure as long as they're going to do it, they may as well let people throw money at them.
It's quite remarkable how two such people, engaged in the same activity, can be so different .... and it's apparent to the audience which one is which ... by sight AND by sound. By the "vibes". And yet the only real difference between them is the attitude behind what they do.
(We've added a "subscribe" option on the right side of the page ... just below my name and a little bit above the announcements for upcoming programs. We'll be honored to have you join us. And you'll get each edition we make hot off the presses. - and we promise not to sell or distribute or misuse your info in any way.)
If you've been following this blog, you're already familiar with the idea about how our thoughts shape our experience ... and this is an example of how a person's map (or description/interpretation of the world) produces results that can lead to despair and failure, or to enthusiasm and self esteem.
In the last edition, we covered the idea that that when you were beset by troubling thoughts, you can realize that IT IS JUST YOUR THINKING ... and I suggested that you KNOCK IT OFF!!
Anyone who's ever studied meditation has run into the problem of the busy mind....
And it just doesn't seem to have an on/off switch. Now that's a fact. But just like the proverbial tree that falls in the uninhabited forest ... would all of those thoughts that you're making up really have any effect if you weren't listening. It's possible to have a world view where those noisy thoughts can be like some "tale told by an idiot" and we can just tune them out. It seems impossible to shut them off, it's quite easy to take the wind out of their sales ... or as Erickson would say, "depotentiate" them.
So I'd like to share a few ways to play with your mind ... and to play for CHANGE. To use a few principles that can put you back in control and out from under the thumb of your thinking mind. (Did you know your mind had a thumb?)
So here's one way -
I'm really convinced that as quickly as you become conscious of the fact that you're feeling the effects of your thinking ... then you'll be more at choice in the matter and you'll discover that more and more often YOU WILL BE ABLE TO STOP IT.
So what we want to do, is to help you become more aware ... to catch yourself in the act .. RED HANDED.
It just isn't the same when you know you're doing it to yourself. (Now why did the tune to "Imaginary Lover" just start running though my head, for example?) But liberation comes when you know you could start doing something differently. I said it before and I'll say it again, "If you're going to make stuff up, you might as well make it groovy."
So ... back to our task ... how to help you become more aware:
Here's an exercise. I mean ... um .... A GAME ... (Yah! THERE's the TICKET!)
exercise is especially useful if you're haunted. Just kidding, sort of. I mean if you have a recurring thought or memory that pops up into your mind from time to time and makes you feel bad, or sad, or worried, or anything else you don't want. The name of the game is Name it, Claim it, and Frame it.
So here's how it goes:
1. Bring up that thought or memory or image that pops into your head. Easy enough to do. You've done it a thousand times. The difference from usual is that this time you're doing it on purpose.
2. Take a moment to consider that this image, idea, thought ... is a creative work. See it in your mind, or just imagine it however vividly you can. Your usual experience may be that it's "just a feeling" ... but it's a feeling about something. After all, you seem to know when to have it, so just notice any image that arises or create a symbol of it ... whichever works best for you
3. And it IS a work of art ... like a fine painting in a gallery. So I think, given all the effort you've put into it, that you should give it a name. Imagine it as a work of art ... a painting for example ... and give it a name. It deserves to have a title. Just a couple words ... or a few.
4. And it needs to have a frame around it, after all. And frames are more important than you think because they provide the context for the painting. A frame is as important as the background music in a motion picture. And you might choose a frame that is really in keeping with the mood of the piece. Or, since it's your own unwanted thought a frame could be chosen that brings playfulness, or contrast ... or something else that you find appropriate. It's your brain ... it's your thought ... and you can decide how you like it.
5. And because it is your artwork ... it ought to be signed ... so that everyone who sees it will know who's work it was. Put your name on it. Maybe in the lower left corner .. or maybe down to the right ... but feel free to be expressive and make that name stand out.
6. Now, just take it all in. Step back and get a good look at it. Knowing it's NAME. Contained in a FRAME. And seeing your signature, you make your CLAIM. Just take it for a moment ... feel any feelings you have about it, for it ... and then let it slowly fade away.
7. Now take a moment to direct your attention else where. Think about something or someone that you really enjoy ... and let yourself fee a moment of delight or pleasure with that though.
8. Now, back to work. Bring your artwork to mind again ... and notice, now when you think about it ... does it come with a frame and a signature? If not, put the frame back on, sign it again, and repeat step 6, 7, and 8 a few times until the frame and signature come automatically with the image/memory/idea.
9. After a few round with this, you'll discover that whenever that thought occurs to you again, if at all ... you'll see it differently ... you'll have more distance from it ... and you'll be able to let it go more easily.
That's enough for today ... more next time.
a little bit above the announcements for upcoming programs. We'll be honored to have you join us. And you'll get each edition we make hot off the presses. - and we promise not to sell or distribute or misuse your info in any way.)